[rescue] LLM responses [was Q about sun2 boot flow]

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sat Sep 5 22:05:36 UTC 2026


I'm not including quotes here.  The mail I'm replying to trips almost
all my "ignore this" flags: it's top-posted, has untrimmed quotes, uses
paragraph-length lines, and it uses what I suspect are UTF-8
apostrophes instead of ASCII apostrophes.  I just don't have the energy
right now to recivilize it. But this seems to me like an important
enough subject that it's worth putting a few minutes into writing about
regardless.

Pasting a wall-of-text from a chatbot?  If it's been vetted for sanity
and, to the extent possible, correctness, I'd consider that more
helpful than nothing.  (I'd rather it had been edited down; LLM
responses tend to be very prolix.  I think I could have compressed it
by at least a factor of 2 without losing any useful information.  But
I'd rather have the whole thing than nothing at all.  If I were in the
habit of using LLMs - I'm not - I might well have asked one myself.)

And as for "generally considered rude", well, pot and kettle; all the
email offenses I mentioned in my first paragraph are things *I*, at
least, consider rude.  Whether they're "generally" considered rude
depends on the population in question.  I would have hazarded a guess
that this list still holds to the old, civilized, ways more than most,
but this exchange makes me wonder.

As for chasing down useful information?  That may well be exactly what
happened.  If I were trying to get ND booting working, those hints,
even if incorrect, would quite likely have been useful.  My guess,
formulated before seeing more than the original post and based on
experience, albeit 40+-year-old experience, was that the 7.5k read from
blocks 1-15 was actually a booter program which might load the next
stage (kernel or more elaborate booter, depending) by whatever means it
has code for, which it sounds as though may well be exactly what
happens.  That an LLM found grounds enough to say it makes me feel
moderately confident that's what happens, though of course I'd check in
more detail before depending on it.  (I can't check any of this; I
don't have any Sun-2s on hand, nor, as far as I know, Sun boot-over-ND
software for any hardware.)

As for it not being a matter of a purity test of how the information
was acquired, well, that's sure how it came across to me, and
apparently to the person who asked the LLM as well.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B


More information about the rescue mailing list