[SPARCbook] Tadpole SPARC LE and Viper Memory
Gary Borgen Old
gary.borgen at verizon.net
Sat Jul 24 19:30:46 CDT 2010
Thought I'd share some trial and error info I found, while trying to find
memory for Tadpole Sparc LE and Viper laptops I picked for repair on *-bay.
SPARC LE 650Mhz:
1. Requires PC100 or PC133 SODIMM (144-pin) ECC non-buffered memory.
2. Memory may be installed individually (i.e. one stick in the lower slot).
Mine had one stick of 512MB in the lower slot. It would post with a non-ecc
stick in the top slot, but would hang on boot.
3. I found that a Cisco Catalyst 6500, MEM-S2-512MB memory fit the bill
for the missing memory ($22 on *-bay). Note that it would probably not fit
in the bottom slot due the thickness of the stick.
The SPARC LE required the replacement of a damaged hard drive motherboard
connector (from a donor Acer Travelmate 420), before it could detect the
hard drive reliably.
1. Requires PC2100 (haven't tried PC2700) DDR 266 SODIMM (200-pin) ECC
2. Must be installed in matched pairs. I tried a 1GB Cisco stick in the
top slot and a 256MB stick in the lower slot - no post.
The Viper had bad solder joints on the memory connectors. I had to resolder
about 60 connections before it would boot.
More information about the SPARCBook