[rescue] Q about sun2 boot flow

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Mon Sep 7 20:07:28 UTC 2026


Le lun. 7 sept. 2026 à 20:40, Walter Belgers via rescue
<rescue at sunhelp.org> a écrit :
> There's also a trick I found: the SunOS 4.0.3

SunOS 3 I haven't tried yet; but SunOS 4 I have a solution that works
for me with some caveats.

If you don't mind AI slop, I've made the repo public there:
<https://github.com/MelkhiorVintageComputing/Sun3_BootDir/> (don't
mind the title, it was originally set up to netboot Dan's Qemu/sun3,
and then got expanded for Sun-2).

It includes a version of ndboot that works on Linux, tftp/rarp, and
enough userland support for NFS v2 (in python, 'cause claude!) to boot
and run SunOS 4.0.3 on my FPGA-based Sun-2 - all files are reported as
root-owned so it doesn't really work for multiuser, but it's enough to
test the OS. IIRC you still need root to create the device file.

Unfortunately being claude-generated with Opus 5, all documentation is
excessively verbose... but maybe that can help anyway.

Cordially,

-- 
Romain Dolbeau


More information about the rescue mailing list