[rescue] SUMMARY - Disksuite 1.0 installation instructions?
peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 11:52:39 CDT 2014
Eventually sorted this out with help from Bruce on the comp.unix.solaris
newsgroup, yes it does still exist, so big thanks to him.
I also found this doc on the web, eventually, after many searches, so thought
I would put a potted version here for future ref.
So on with full walk through.
The iso package I managed to find was actually in UFS format, so used lofi and
mounted like any normal ufs disk on a Sol 2 system. I then copied the contents
of the iso over to the Sunos 4.X system (Sparc). Within the files I received
there were no readmes, but simply running cdm binary and selecting Disksuite
and then asking to install it loaded it fine. Note it may get upset with you
running 4.1.3 and above, simply ignore that and carry on, it is the only
Now we have the package installed, we need to configure the system to allow us
to use it.
1) Go to /sys/sun4m/conf - sun4m is for SS20/SS5 etc, choose which
architecture you have
2) Create a new conf file or edit your existing one by adding the following at
the end of the pseudo lines
3) Rebuild kernel by doing
config <conf name>
cd ../<conf name>
substitute <conf name> with your config name.
4) Copy newly created vmunix to /.
cp vmunix /vmunix, you may wish to save your current version before,
mv /vmunix /vmiunix.old
5) Install various meta stuff
Patch the kernel with
/usr/etc/metadb -p -k /vmunix
6) After reboot, ignore metadb errors and now create the devices you want to
setup in the md.conf file
# md.conf example
/dev/md2a -m /dev/md0a
/dev/md0a 1 1 /dev/sd0a
/dev/md1a 1 1 /dev/sd1a
7) Setup, using format, the disks you want to have the replica databases on,
normally around 10-20mb is fine in one of the partitions eg sd0d.
8) Initialise the replica databases
metadb -a -f -c 3 /dev/sd0d
metadb -a -f -c 3 /dev/sd1d
This gives two devices with 3 databases per partition.
9) Create the sub mirrors and mirrors from md.conf
10) go back your kernel conf file and change the line
config vmunix swap generic
to change the root and swap to the new values eg
config vmunix root on md2a swap on md2b
rebuild kernel as above (with the root mirror, make sure it is of the form
mdXy, where X is a single number and y is the partition, the kernel does not
appear to like double digit numbers for the boot partition)
11) /usr/etc/metadb -p -k vmunix the kernel and then
cp vmunix /vmunix
12) Modify /etc/fstab to use mirrors eg
/dev/sd0a / 4.2 rw 1 1 --> /dev/md2a / 4.2 rw 1 1
12) Hope you have done everything ok and reboot.....
That is about it, anyone familiar with Disksuite on Sol 2 will find ver 1.0 no
problem when running.
Ashlyn Computer Services
Tel: 01636 627990
Mbl: 07977 532320
More information about the rescue