[rescue] v240 OS choices
mark.kahrs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 15:54:02 CDT 2011
I hope this won't be flame bait, I just wanted to relate my experience.
I also obtained a relatively cheap v240 off epay. Unlike the OP, it did not
come with sleds or disks. Fortunately, both were cheap(ish).
For an OS, I had the following possibilities:
- solaris (with Oracle lack of support in the future, I vetoed this)
- openindiana (sounds great, but UltraSPARC support isn't there)
- netbsd (I run this on other boxes, but doesn't have UltraSPARC support)
- openbsd (I run this on my web server, works wonderfully, but no ZFS)
- freebsd (A possibility, has ZFS, fairly different from both netbsd and
For the time being, I went with openbsd --- mostly because I already have
one machine running it (it's been up for months).
My plan is to leave the 240 powered down except for one day a week (it's
mission in life is the backup system). It's a noisy power hungry thing
and I'd just as soon not inflate my electric bill any more than necessary.
In the winter, however, I think I will investigate the use of the 240 as a
room heater. Seriously.
More information about the rescue