[rescue] I want a vacuum tube

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Wed Oct 29 15:13:03 CDT 2008

Saith William Enestvedt, inter alia ...

> ... I want a vacuum tube. A pretty, shiny one about three
> inches tall that doesn't have to work ...

Call around to the local music stores and fnd ut who fixes guitar and bass
amps.  They will have new tubes, since a lot of amps still use 'em, and they
are likely to have a gassy or dead one around, too.  The "finals" in many
amps are 6L6 or 6CA7 types, which are octal tubes about 2.5 inches tall.
They are straight-sided, though, and not all that beautiful.  For real
beauty, you want some of the tubes Macintosh used to use in some of their
big HiFi amps, but I'm damned if I can remember the numbers.  KT88, maybe?
Anyway, a site with some pictures is www.tubestore.com.


More information about the rescue mailing list