[rescue] email clients; was For Sale/Trade - Cobalt Qube 2
jjn_rescue at nonken.net
Mon Jun 13 07:49:53 CDT 2005
At 11:18 PM 6/12/2005, you wrote:
>Drat... really wishing reply did not reply to the list...
>that's twice in about 24 hours... I must be trying to
>set a new record for myself... <sigh>
I've been thinking lately that email clients are pretty stupid in a lot of
ways. Few of them will do threading, and all that I've seen stick with the
standard "reply" and "reply all" options and nothing else. It's a tried and
true paradigm but it's not the only one. We're stuck in a rut.
What's needed for email lists is some new options:
1) Threading of the messages, and a simple (keyboard "shortcuts") way to
jump to the next unread message;
2) A new button for "reply to group";
3) A new button for "reply to sender";
4) A way to set up each mailbox so it uses either the old style or the new,
based on the user's preferences, and options to tell it where to find the
correct information (which fields to examine for the group reply address
vs. the sender reply address).
5) Maybe an extra button for "forward to administrator" and a way to tell
it where to find the administrator email address, if it's in the headers,
or a way to set it manually.
6) Maybe a button to kick your browser off and send it to the subscription
7) An option somewhere to check a message for known email list
characteristics and automatically set up the containing mailbox for you,
because I'm lazy and I always figured the computer was supposed to be there
to save ME doing the work. :)
Naturally the old "reply/reply all" paradigm buttons and the new "reply
group/reply sender" paradigm buttons will be mutually exclusive, at least
I also wish Eudora would stop assuming that when I hit "reply" it's to an
individual, and assert "you wrote" in the quote header. As far as I can
tell there's no way to change it, even in the latest version.
More information about the rescue