[rescue] RE: OT: LPR & 9100
mwalls at castor.oktax.state.ok.us
Tue Sep 14 11:56:23 CDT 2004
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:07:13 -0400
William Enestvedt wrote:
> Patrick wrote:
> > You shouldn't even NEED the Win2k3 boxen. Every Jetdirect I am
> > familiar with can accept LPR jobs straight over the TCP/IP network.
> > Why not just take a Linux box and setup Samba (if needed for some
> > reason to have Windows style printers) then run it through magicfilter
> > or aps-filter (if needed to get PCL output) - should be a LOT more
> > efficient.
> > I have found sticking Windows XP/2K in the middle to handle print
> > requests results in major suckage.
I'm using CUPS under solaris driving about 25 printers (mostly jetdirects),
and feeding it from multiple Sun/Oracle servers. Works fairly well, and
is much more reliable than feeding jetdirect from lpsched under Solaris.
One oddity is that oracle requires access to a X11 display for forms printing
before cups see's the output.
- "Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out,
- my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was
- and he said, "Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are
- IBM's lawyers." - anonymous /. poster
-Monty Walls (mwalls at castor.oktax.state.ok.us)
- MIS, Oklahoma Tax Commission
- My opinions are my own, my employer knows nothing about it.
More information about the rescue