[rescue] first real server hardware
Jonathan C. Patschke
jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 16 10:42:42 CDT 2004
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> How much better is an R10K/195 Octane than an R10K/195 Indigo2?
* Indigo2 has fast-narrow SCSI. Octane has ultra-wide.
* Octane's memory bandwidth blows Indigo2's out of the water.
* Indigo2 has 10baseT networking. Octane has 100baseTX.
* GIO64 and EISA are much slower than XIO and PCI.
* Heat output is pretty-much equal. Octane may be a little warmer.
* Octane has ADAT, if that's your bag.
> Generally more modern, yes, but is it tons faster?
I/O-wise? Oh hell yes. CPU-wise? Not by much, but what good is a fast
CPU if it starves on the Indigo2's memory bus?
This is the article you want:
> Does it take a normal-for-old-SGI 13w3-connected SOG monitor?
Jonathan Patschke ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX ( famous. That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."
USA ) --Metal Steve
More information about the rescue