[rescue] Big Honkin' Drives
apotter at spankingnuns.com
Sun Sep 14 18:55:59 CDT 2003
camonett at speakeasy.net said:
> >OK, I picked up a couple of drives on ebay, they're 23 GB SCSI sCa
> full >-height drives.
<schnipp>----- Happy Bill?
So, after pondering this very question for a while, I think there are a
couple of answers, depending on your rescue-purity(tm).
- Grab an old storage ped. These look like 4/x70 chassis, but hold disk
trays instead of VME cards. Get REAL lucky and find one wired for
- Generic 19" storage trays, hold 4 discs. Trouble anymore with this
and last option is finding one.
- Old CD towers. Generally have LOTS of capacity and PS, particulary
older ones for older (more power hungry) CDs. Will need to be re-wired
for wide. Bonus: some have a PC board inside to host scsi controllers
and put the whole mess on the network. Upgrade this, install fav OS,
hang discs on the net, not another box.
- Old PC case. Cheap. U-ger-ly. Functional. Will need wiring, but
can do the Bonux trick from above.
- Erector set + PC power supply. Extremely high "hack value",
functional, will need wiring and will look like hell.
Hope this helps.
More information about the rescue