[rescue] Re: G5 case
Jonathan C. Patschke
jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jun 27 15:59:40 CDT 2003
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> Define "better".
1) Something that isn't so damned chatty. For a networked window
system, it appears to assume that bandwidth is free.
2) Something that can upload small amount of code server-side (like
NeWS)--this would go impressive lengths to solving #1.
3) Something with a not-nearly-as-easy-to-fuck-up configuration system.
4) How about a standard widget set that -doesn't- look like ass so
that not everyone and their brother goes around making a new one to
avoid paying $bigNum for the one standardized (but commercial) widget
5) Authentication that's a little less insane. Ever had xauth just
decide one day that Something had changed? Invariably, this happens
when you need a display RIGHT NOW, so you end up falling back on
6) Perhaps a less fragile method of inter-application communication than
XSHM and the clipboard.
7) Something with a more coherent idea of a "session". Getting XSM to
DWIM never ceases to be an all-day affair.
> There has flown a lot of ink and bytes over the question wether X
> isn't an old bloated piece of crap not adapted to todays' desktop
> users' needs and if id needs to replaced.
X isn't bloated. Well, it is, but not in terms of feature creep:
PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME CPU COMMAND
22908 root 1 59 0 53M 46M sleep 3:56 0.64% Xsun
As much as I hate to say it, the GUI in Windows XP doesn't eat that much
memory, and these numbers are a -huge- improvement over older versions
of Xsun that leaked memory like sieves.
However, that may largely be a Sun problem. The numbers I'm getting
from the AIX systems here are much nicer, but they also are just
displaying the login banner instead of 10 rxvts and a window manager.
> Btw, there ARE new guis in development. The most well-known are probably
> Berlios (which doesn't seem to get anywhere)
Is that what used to be called "Berlin"? I remember reading about that
years ago and thinking it was really slick.
 xaw. *puke*
Jonathan Patschke ) "Leave your lawsuits at home. I have guns."
Elgin, TX ( --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren
More information about the rescue