[rescue] 110VAC --> 208 or 220VAC transformers?

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:01 CST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> A converter transformer that will take 18A of 110VAC and convert to
> 220 with 9A is availble for about $200 from what I am told.  Plus the
> cost of wiring into the panel I have.
> Does anyone have experience with these sort of things?  Any gotchas I
> should watch out for?  I assume that the transformer will for the most
> part give me the same quality of 220 as I have of 110 now (i.e. no
> weird harmonics or crap like that).

A 120/240 transformer rated at 2KVA or so will cost a lot less than $200.  
HSC in Rohnert Park, CA was clearing 2.5KVA units out for $20 the last 
time I was there.  Check out electronics surplus shops and you should be 
able to find something that will work on a budget.

Sinewave A/C is the ideal waveform for a transformer, that's why it's used
in the first place.  It's probably not too critical, though, most
switching power supplies will work with marginal waveforms.

Make sure you're really using a 20A circuit, and check your load with an 
ammeter once you bring everything up to make sure you're ok.  Don't forget 
to ground everything properly.


More information about the rescue mailing list