[rescue] Request for recomendation [was: Why is everyone so OSX happy?]
rsk at gsp.org
Fri Apr 11 22:23:13 CDT 2003
On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:14:16PM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> I have the 15" model from last year and love it. It's great for video
> editing (I use Final Cut Express).
Chris (and/or anyone else): what Apple laptop model(s) would you
recommend (or un-recommend) for someone like me?
1. Unix-phile; I suppose I need to have something that OSX
will continue to support in the future. Barely-if-at-all
Mac-literate, having lived in the SUN/DEC/HP/IBM/SGI/etc.
world for years.
2. Don't need hi-performance (e.g. hardcore gamer) graphics.
Enough to run web browers and watch the occasional low-res
streaming video off the 'net is fine. (do need >= 24 bits
of color though)
3. Need ability to manipulate MIDI and audio files, pull
audio from CDs, write audio to CDs, etc.
4. Need to have a way to talk 9600/8/N/1 to many devices
made by a certain company often discussed here. ;-)
5. Long battery life would be nice; a way to plug into
a solar panel to extend that life would be even nicer as
frequent outdoor use is anticipated. (Does anybody make
a solar recharger for these things?)
6. Because of frequent outdoor use ;-), some degree of
ruggedness would be nice. (I'm not brutal to systems,
but one that breaks easily would be a bad idea.)
More information about the rescue