[rescue] Re: Rescued: Origin 200

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Dec 4 03:41:02 CST 2002

Hi Lads

I've just rescued an old SGI Origin 200 system. I've booted it up and run
some diagnostics - the rough configuration is as follows.



Oh. I forgot to add. I discovered an interesting gotcha for doing
diagnostics on a 'Craylinked' Origin 200.

The serial console on the slave system is _completely_ disabled. Since I
didn't have access to google this afternoon I spent around 3 hours trying
to coax an output from the slave system (picked first at random). I tried
making different console cable adaptors (RJ45-DB9 shells), changing system
parameters in minicom, swearing, rebooting the system, sending console
break signals etc etc. None of these do a thing. Well except the swearing
which helps dissipate operator tension :-)

I've since learned that there is a set of unmarked jumpers under a (screwed
down) access panel on the rear of the server which set the Craylink
master/slave status for each node.

Oh - the other I forgot to say that I also picked up two O2 systems through
an unrelated deal on Monday. As far as I can tell (from the system serial
numbers) they are both 300MHz R12K systems with 128MB RAM and 4GB disks :-)
However I won't find out till late next week as they both need to be
brought back from Australia. More details when I get my hands on the systems.



More information about the rescue mailing list