[geeks] Windows/XP/SP3 corrupt cab file problems
aloishammer at casearmour.net
Sat Aug 23 16:46:55 CDT 2008
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:42:11 +0300, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
<gsm at mendelson.com> said:
> I tried to update a computer running XP Pro Corporate, SP2 to SP3 using
> the downloadable SP3 update CD image. This is the last one, from May.
> When I ran the update, I got a message about being unable to read cabinet
> files. I searched for the message on the web and found that someone had
> as similar problem and Microsoft had fixed it by having him move certain
> .cab files.
> It did not work for me, so I must have other corrupt cab files.
> I waited a while hoping since it was a common problem, Microsoft would
> out with an improved SP3 with a broken cabinet file detector. No new
> version has come out. :-(
> Anyone have any ideas on how to find them and what to do?
Several things you can do:
1) Was your SP2 install slipstreamed? If no, you can remove^wrename
%WINDIR$\ServicePackFiles, *create* a slipstreamed source somewhere, and
when the installation starts asking for the SP2 "install disc," point it
at the slipstreamed source. The slipstreamed source doesn't need to be
or have been on optical media.
2) If it wasn't slipstreamed, you could also try removing SP2 (you still
have the uninstallation files... right?) and then reinstalling with SP3.
3) Whether or not you slipstreamed SP2, you can slipstream SP2 into XP,
make a bootable ISO from that (just Google for "XP slipstream" and
possibly "nLite" for all this), and boot it and run it in Recovery Mode
and see if that fixes up anything. It may also *screw things up*,
because "recovery" modes can do that. Back things up first. Making a
complete disk image wouldn't be a bad idea. If you need help with that,
there are a few dedicated Linux distros tailored for this. FOG, for
one. And other methods, like Acronis.
3a) #1 and #2 could also use a disk image beforehand.
4) You could be exceedingly clever and use cabextract + bash (or
shell-of-choice) (or ActivePerl + cabextract methods, or something else
clever) to whip together a little script to manually unpack every single
.cab file on the hard drive into a temp directory and report any errors
to you. Then you could try replacing the b0rked .cabs one at a time.
Use a slipstreamed SP2 source for the .cabs.
5) If you end up desperate, try a bootable XP CD with SP3 slipstreamed
in Recovery Mode. This could do significantly more evil things than a
slipstreamed SP2 disc.
*) I'll post more later if I think of anything else.
More information about the geeks